Head of Construction / Contracts Manager
Main Purpose of Role:
Responsibility for the complete running of individual and/or collective site projects, Inc. but not limited to all aspects of the performance of the specific project.
Principal duties will be to:
- Commercial – Obtain competitive quotations on all sub-contractor works, plant and material purchases to ensure and maintain the company’s profitability
- Programme – Prepare a complete construction programme prior to commencing works, which should reflect all pre-start activities, site works and phasing, the programme should be used to maximize efficient delivery of the project & minimise delay
- Safety – You should maintain and ensure the safe site working environment & manage the supply chain are working safely
- Quality – Deliver the construction product in accordance with our contractual obligations, within budget and to the company’s standards
- Design satisfaction – Enhance and be proactive to maximize the project design experience, utilise clear lines of communication to eliminate misunderstanding and ensure clarity of our position
- Leadership – You should lead by example, delegate responsibilities to sustain efficient working, coordinate the project team and support individuals
- Reporting – You will be expected to prepare daily, weekly, and monthly reports and site diaries through your normal site duties, this will also include but not be limited to a weekly and monthly project report submitted to your line manager
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Note: The below list is not exhaustive & other duties commensurate with the nature of the post may, from time to time, be required. In addition, there may be some variation and/or some development of the duties & responsibilities without changing the general nature of the post.
- To support, direct and motivate the site team having day to day responsibility for the works; this includes supplementing or relocating staff as demands dictate. Attend to and record staff requirements to the head of construction / construction manager at the head office for weekly and monthly updates
- In conjunction with the quantity surveyor and accounts staff, appoint, control and monitor specialist and/or sub-contractors/suppliers and ensure they provide the service/undertake the work specified under our contractual obligation
- Ensure the preparation of a detailed programme of works and procurement schedules at the outset of the project and ensure that such are updated throughout contract
- To protect our contractual obligations, ensure timely notifications are submitted for all – variations, E.O.T. claims – to enhance our commercial or contractual entitlement
- Responsible for coordinating with the company’s health and safety advisors for the preparation, submission and update of construction Health & Safety plan, RAMS, and associated documents
- Ensure that all information is collated to produce the Building Manual/Health & Safety file so that this is produced at practical completion
- In conjunction with the site team produce monthly financial statement of expenditure, i.e. purchase orders, sub-contractor accounts, variations, and extras
- Prepare and submit each report to the head of construction / contracts manager and if required progress reports of an individual project to the client
- Obtain the required information from professionals, such as building control, M & E, sound testing to comply with our contractual obligations and programme
- Discipline contractors and/or specialist contractors in accordance with H & S matters, quality control and programme
Health & Safety:
- Promote a safe working ethos on site by having a thorough knowledge of the relevant H&S legislation
- Know, implement, and keep up to date the Construction Phase H&S plan
- Conduct site inductions for all personnel working on or visiting the site
- Produce, or ensure production by subcontractors, of all relevant risk assessments and method statements including: Emergency procedures, access & egress routes
- Ensure necessary COSHH assessments are provided by subcontractors or others
- Keep and maintain all H&S records, reports, and registers
- Ensure welfare arrangements are installed and maintained to a good standard
- Organise the works to ensure that risks are minimised for the workforce, visitors or others affected by the works
- Monitor that all plant used on site is maintained and suitable for the purpose intended
- Records from subcontractors/plant hirers should be retained on site to support the above and verify that the person using the plant has relevant certification
- On the monthly site safety inspections; walk around and discuss with the Safety Advisor any safety concerns
- Hold periodic tool box talks and site safety liaison meetings
- Carry out a daily site inspection of site operations, to satisfy they are being carried out within Regulatory standards and that all operatives are utilising PPE appropriate for the work activity being undertaken.
General Obligations to the Company:
- Develop positive and collaborative working relationships with key employees and work colleagues
- Conduct duties in a courteous and professional way when dealing with clients, their professional teams and other industry contacts
- Attend all designated induction, instruction, and training sessions
- Keep aware of current relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice and Company policies and procedures
- Maintain a safe and tidy workspace and observe all safety requirements including the wearing of PPE as required at the place of work
- Promptly report to your line manager any issue which could adversely affect personnel or the Company
- Make suggestions of (or implement as requested) any improvements to working procedures which will enhance the efficiency, safety, or quality of the Company’s operations
- Look after all company assets, such as plant, tools, materials, vehicles whilst on or in use on your specific site
- Ensure that any company accommodation provided to you or the site team, is maintained and treated in accordance with the company’s expectations
- Contribute to contract feedback review, performance, and appraisal.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
All employees must ensure that they comply with all company Health & Safety rules & procedures; this includes all documented company policies.
Priestley Construction Ltd requires all employees fully co-operate with their colleagues & support the performance of their duties. This will then ensure a positive image is portrayed of Priestley Construction Ltd.
Hear more from us
Get the inside scoop on our VIP launches, early bird offers, latest projects, company news and more.