Contracts Manager / Head of Construction
Main Purpose of Role:
Site Managers have day to day responsibility for all site operations. This will include achieving agreed key dates/timescales and the overall programme; supervision of subcontractors and our direct workforce; constructing a quality product that meets the contract requirements; controlling site costs within the agreed budgets.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Note: The below list is not exhaustive & other duties commensurate with the nature of the post may, from time to time, be required. In addition, there may be some variation and/or some development of the duties & responsibilities without changing the general nature of the post.
Pre-start of works:
- Contribute to the production of the outline construction programme
- Produce a site compound layout including accommodation, services and storage areas, then setup the compound to a good standard
- Evaluate existing services information for use on site
- Be aware of and contribute to the continual improvement of the projects commercial performance
- Ensure all works meet the contract requirements in respect of specification and quality.
- Ensure works are completed on or ahead of time. Take part in the regular review and update of the programme, procurement schedules and ensure such is communicated to relevant parties, specifically subcontractors and consultants
- In agreement with Contracts Manager attend interviews with subcontractors
- Implement and control the Quality Management System (QMS) as specified on a Project. Formulate, implement and administer the Work Inspection Plan to control effectively the management of defects. Ensure that all subcontractors fulfil their responsibilities with respect to timely and coordinated completion of snagging work prior to handover to the Client for inspection.
- Target zero defects on completion.
- Follow SWMP and waste procedures, avoid pollution and other environmental offences
- Compile and where requested submit, in a timely manner, weekly records in compliance with Company procedures and QA system
- Exercise authority for the benefit of the project and individuals by control and support of engineering/supervisory staff and delegate responsibilities as appropriate; ensure construction work is being undertaken in compliance with the most current technical information; liaise with our external Consultants in the provision of design services to meet site requirements.
- Discipline direct employed workforce, site staff and specialist contractors strictly in accordance with the Company Policy.
- Identify and seek timely instructions regarding missing or conflicting information from the professional team.
- Support and contribute to the implementation and maintenance of the Considerate Constructors Scheme (If applicable)
- Monitor plant hire, tools storage and use on-site ensuring that these are used correctly and in accordance with the manufacturers’ guidelines. Ensure that tools are secured correctly in safe storage at the end of the working day/weekend.
- Ensure that company vehicles are used for the purpose intended and that they are cleaned and maintained on a daily and weekly basis (light, tyres, oil and water checking
- Ensure that and temporary accommodation provided for the use of employees and operatives is used appropriately and without miss-use/ill-treatment.
- Experience with dry lining systems would be preferable. These being metal stud walling, MF ceilings, plaster boarding (all types), wall insulation, tape & fill, plaster skim, sprayed applied plaster, suspended ceilings.
- An experience of acoustic flooring and walls would be an advantage. These being raised access acoustic floor, overlaid acoustic floor, acoustic wall panels, acoustic ceiling and roof insulation.
- Give all subcontractors adequate notice to start onsite when required
- Ensure all subcontractors have adequate resources to complete their works
- Monitor and direct that subcontractors to ensure their works are to the contract requirements,with regards to quality and safety
- Co-ordinate the operations of all subcontractors to minimise clashes in work schedules
- Ensure all additional subcontractor works are covered by confirmation of instruction in writing
- Hold regular progress meeting with key subcontractors identified at any given period of the project programme
Health & Safety:
- Promote a safe working ethos on site by having a thorough knowledge of the relevant H&S legislation.
- Know, implement and keep up to date the Construction Phase H&S plan
- Conduct site inductions for all personnel working on or visiting the site
- Produce, or ensure production by subcontractors, of all relevant risk assessments and method statements including: Emergency procedures, access & egress routes
- Ensure necessary COSHH assessments are provided by subcontractors or others
- Keep and maintain all H&S records, reports and registers
- Ensure welfare arrangements are installed and maintained to a good standard
- Organise the works to ensure that risks are minimised for the workforce, visitors or others affected by the works
- Monitor that all plant used on site is maintained and suitable for the purpose intended
- Records from subcontractors/plant hirers should be retained on site to support the above and verify that the person using the plant has relevant certification
- On the monthly site safety inspections; walk around and discuss with the Safety Advisor any safety concerns
- Hold periodic tool box talks and site safety liaison meetings.
- Carry out a daily site inspection of site operations, to satisfy they are being carried out within Regulatory standards and that all operatives are utilising PPE appropriate for the work activity being undertaken.
Obligations to Company:
- Work alongside in a positive and collaborative manner with colleagues to enhance the commercial, professional and personal prosperity of the company and its employees
- Have an in-depth knowledge of the company’s health, safety and welfare policy.
- Attend all scheduled training, to keep aware of changing legislations, codes of practice, policiesetc.
- Set a personal example by wearing relevant PPE whilst on site.
- Develop complimentary working relationships with other key members of the Project team and endeavor to create positive working relationships with the Client, their representatives and consultants.
- Promptly action and conduct in a professional manner any contractual or legal issue in the best interest of the company.
- Contribute to contract feedback review, performance, and appraisal.
- Look after the company’s assets such as property, plant, tools if used on any sites or projects
All employees must ensure that they comply with all company Health & Safety rules & procedures; this includes all documented company policies.
Priestley Construction Ltd requires all employees fully to co-operate with their colleagues & support the performance of their duties. This will then ensure a positive image is portrayed of Priestley Construction Ltd